Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Rimrock

Restless. Suddenly late winter becomes mid-summer but snow still blocks mountain trails. I head east then. Can't be that bad. I have to do something.

From Olympia with a late start Rimrock Lake is far enough, just east of the Cascade divide on U.S. 12. Far enough to remain clear and dry. Looks good. I park.

Someone has been here. Like 12-year-olds. That's when I built my last fort.

But overall it is nice. A few people parked closer to the main road, no one way back where I stop, and I have acres of land. And trees. Colorful trees.

With a few flowers. The Tieton River is a short walk north. I can just hear it where I park. Not loud enough to bother. Close enough to be a comforting presence.

To the south, elevation and wind-buffering trees.

Flowers along the river, among the rocks.

Rock.

Hope found. Hope for the arriving and continuing summer. I need it.

Lichen at dusk, a quiet neighbor.

There is room to sleep in peace.

Reassuring growth springs from the earth.

The next day I stopped at a state park in Yakima for a shower and to have a lazy lunch, then continued north, to discover a great campground, though my goal is to explore eastern Washington's "Channeled Scablands".

Plans don't always work, do they?

More info:

Rimrock Lake (Wikipedia)

Tieton River (Wikipedia)

South Fork Tieton Dispersed Camping

Google Maps' view.