Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Fooning Around

If I have a spoonlike shallow scooping implement with pointy things on one edge of it then I can call it anything I like.

I can but I won't, because someone else has done that work for me. And today I'm feeling especially lazy.

The same as every day, but that's none of your business, is it?

So what should we call our spoonlike shallow scooping implements? Well, last week it was "spork." Other names that work are "foon" and "runcible spoon". Let's say foon this time.

I'm in a foony mood anyway.

Feeling foony yourself? OK, let's go. Let's get disposable. Disposable and grassy.

Grassy?

Yep. As in bamboo. Bamboo is a grass. And you can make foons from it. And other things. Even flooring. But let's not eat off the floor right now.

Back to foons.

I haven't used any of these, but they look like fun. I may even be tempted to get one of these midget foons (see the photo). Well, wrong. It isn't a foon. Or a spork. Or a spoon, runcible or otherwise. Even though the seller calls it a "Bamboo Reusable Spork". It's another kind of implement entirely, with a spoon on one end and a fork on the other.

Kind of like a conjoined twin of two unrelated critters.

It's short. Way short, at 3 1/2 inches (9 cm). But that's good, right? Has to be light, and it's short, so it won't take up much room. Just what an ultralighter needs. Not one who eats from a bag like I do, but I could change. Maybe. For the right foon.

So here we are with an item by Greenfeet that is "solid bamboo and is reusable...made from organically and sustainably grown bamboo." Two bucks apiece. Pretty good.

Too small? Try their "Bamboo Knife Fork & Spoon Set" for $6.95. "Made from a single piece of organically grown bamboo Each piece of this bamboo flatware set is hand shaped, finished, burnished and polished to a satiny feel that's a delight to touch." Probably by elves, but they don't say.

Like to throw stuff away? Want to watch it decompose? There's a set of "All-Occasion Bamboo Disposable Sporks." Get 24 for $9.50 and cheat. No one says you have to throw them away.

A little goofier (maybe not) is the "Bamboo Kid's Utensil Set". Fork and spoon for $7.25. Same materials. You can buy a set and pretend you're younger than you are. Most people do anyway. I won't tell.

Other stuff: bamboo forks or spoons in bulk. Bamboo plates.

And corn-based plastics if you prefer the white creamy smoothness of genuine plastic. "...derived from corn grown in the U.S.A. They are fully biodegradable in commercial compost facilities."

Mmmmmm. Commercial compost facilities.

I can hardly wait to start eating from something that's not a bag. Maybe. We'll see.

References:

Bamboo Reusable Spork
http://www.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.asp?kw=Bamboo-Reusable-Spork&ic=6010-00648-0000&eq=

Bamboo Knife Fork & Spoon Set
All-Occasion Bamboo Disposable Sporks
All-Occasion Veneerware Bamboo Plates
Spork From Wikipedia


1 comments :

  1. Hi Dave!

    What a great review - thank you! I like the idea of a 'foon' myself. Sounds so much foonier.

    Bambu's products are fantastic as is the company itself. I know the owners personally and can say they have as much personality and style as the products they make. They're committed to making affordable, sustainable products that change the way we live. I love that. Who says being 'green' has to be so damn boring anyway? I prefer to have as much foon as possible.

    Keep up the great posts. Very, very enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete