Sunday, January 4, 2015

Fresh, January 4

 Astronomy Picture of the Day:  Observatory, Mountains, Universe.  The observatory is located on a shoulder of Mt. Elbrus, the highest mountain in Europe.  Read this...


 Herald and News:  Alone in wilderness.  "When I turned 52 I never considered going out on a long day hike, much less having spent some nights out there by myself," Beccy said.  Read this...


 zeelemons:  And so it begins: Winter Hiking.  With a couple of weeks off from work, I've made time to reach multiple summits.  Read this...


 Wandering Virginia:  Shenandoah Wilderness: Nicholson Hollow Trail and Corbin Mountain Trail.  The differences between wilderness areas and non-wilderness areas are subtle, at best.  Read this...


 Jovial Wanderer:  Hiking: Mt. Pulag in a Day (Akiki-Ambangeg Trail).  Personally, I find extended day hikes (hikes exceeding 5 hours) enjoyable because you can focus on the scenery without lugging a heavy pack.  Read this...


 Pmags:  A quick and simple winter overnighter.  I have a chance to sleep outside, get some needed play time and my let weekend feel longer.  Read this...


 Adventure Possible:  10 Tips for Preparing for Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike.  The last thing you want to do is hit the trail without your mind, body, and gear being ready!  Read this...


 Alice Hikes:  Through Glacier Peak Wilderness to Stehekin.  Just tried to pee into a bottle. Missed. Wet wiped my sleeping mat. Peed into a ziploc. Got pee on a lot of things. Didn't really care. Felt like I should care.  Read this...


 Rocky Mountain Journal:  Grand Teton's Epic Loop Hike.  It seems that most national parks have at least one loop hike that takes in the best of what that park has to offer in terms of scenery. Grand Teton National Park is no exception.  Read this...


 Angela Travels:  Good Morning America Shares My Kalalau Trail Rescue.  Most hikers were evacuated December 24th due to impassible rivers. We were two of them.  Read this...


 Sirena's Wanderings:  Christmas in the Tortolitas.  I never hear of anyone backpacking in the Tortolitas north of Tucson, but I thought it might be a fun spot to wake up Christmas morning.  Read this...


 Trail Cooking:  5 Recipes From Freezer Bag Cooking.  Enjoy!  Read this...


 lotsafreshair:  Larapinta Trail - Part 1.  This was the first commercial trip I've done in a while, so I was curious to see if I still enjoyed this style of adventure.  Read this...


 Section Hiker:  The Coppermine Trail and Bridal Veil Falls.  This was a nice walk, but really just a warm up hike before the big hike I have planned for the following day, a winter ascent of Mt Washington.  Read this...


 Wilderness, the Gateway to the Soul:  From Dawn To Dust.  No planes, no boats, no semis, no Fed Ex trucks, garbage trucks, diesel trucks, air conditioners, construction vehicles, busy highways, generators, motorcycles or helicopters this morning.  Read this...


Ad: Fire In Your Hand: Ultralight backpacking stoves.



0 comments :

Post a Comment