Sunday, July 3, 2016

Fresh, July 3

 The Importance of Elsewhere:  I Stare a Sandwich Out Of A Stranger's Hands.  After being away from refrigeration for four months, its sorcery now amazes me.  Read this...


 Alone:  Full Gear List and Prohibited Items.  Here's a list of all of the standard items the participants are given, as well as the master list from which they are allowed to select ten special items. Finally, there is a list of prohibited items.  Read this...


 Injuring Eternity:  Fulufjället sufferfest.  'We should go on a trip together' said Eric to me. 'Sure, Let's do it' I answered. Three years later, we did it.  Read this...


 Jan's Jaunts and Jabberings:  CA — Alabama Hills — Geocaching for Arches.  Alabama Hills is probably most well known for it's leading role in many films. As for me, I was there for the views and geology.  Read this...


 distance makes...:  Corner unknown.  In a cold rain, I sweat nervously as I scramble over the slick boulders.  Read this...


 Hot Mama Hikers:  Manual for a Lost Hiker.  The trail should be somewhere over here, right?  Read this...


 Hiker Adventures:  Superior Hiking Trail Day 12: I am in Hell  Today was a pretty good day...I laughed immediately after I wrote that. I've lost track of how long it's been since I saw the sun.  Read this...


 Gore-Tex Blog:  How Rattlesnake Lake Swallowed Moncton, Washington.  Before it was called the Rattlesnake Lake Recreation Area, locals actually knew the area as the town of Moncton.  Read this...


 Gore-Tex Blog:  Visitor in the Dark: Black Bear Encounters on the Arizona Trail.  Heavy breathing. A snort. Something was lumbering nearby.  Read this...


 Making Waves:  Just another classic Monday.  The Plain of Six Glaciers trail is my go to place when I am feeling in a classical mood.  Read this...


 Brown Girl on the (P)CT:  Day 34 - Right Meow.  I see eyes reflecting back at me. Cat-like eyes. About three feet off the ground. Uphill. UM.  Read this...


 Cattywampur:  Not Quite the Holy Grayl of Water Purification.  It made filtering water a chore, something I loathed doing every day on the trip.  Read this...


 MSR Summit Register:  Steph Davis Answers: 'Any Advice for a Healthy Dirtbag Diet?'.  I eat generally the same when camping as at home.  Read this...


 Sprinkles Hikes:  Fuel 100 Electro-Bites: A Food Review.  They weren't fruit chews and...they weren't sickly sweet.   Read this...


 Bearfoot Theory:  Chasing Waterfalls on Milford Sound.  Its rainy cliffs are home to massive waterfalls, rainforest, friendly seals, and elusive penguins.  Read this...


 PCTA:  The problem of water caches on the PCT.  It was not long ago that there were no caches on the PCT. It was a wilder, rougher time. Self-reliance was paramount.  Read this...


 How To Wilderness:  How To Cache Water.  Because water is so sparse in these deserts, even if you can find it you can't legally drink it.  Read this...


 The GearCaster:  Waterproof Footwear: Membrane On The Outside.  What good are waterproof shoes when your feet are sitting in a puddle of sweat?  Read this...


 Bedrock & Paradox:  Closure options for large packs.  Volume in a big pack can fluctuate significantly, and pack height above the frame needs to be controlled so it does not go bobble-headed and flop around.  Read this...


 Bedrock & Paradox:  How to aquaseal your trail shoes.  Depending on shoe material and construction, aquaseal may help a little or it may help a great deal.  Read this...


 lotsafreshair:  Lightweight Hiking Recipe Book.  Aussie chef, food scientist and all-round outdoors adventure gal, Sonya Muhlsimmer, has poured her heart, soul and extensive food and nutrition knowledge into her first book, Xtreme Gourmet.  Read this...


 Hiking Fiasco:  Wolfe Crater, Western Australia.  I wasn't sure about the graffiti. It missed a bit of warmth.  Read this...


 Zenlightened Voyager:  Water Bed!  I peered through the bug netting and my shoes were gone, they had floated away in the river that now ran through my vestibule.  Read this...


 The Mountains Are Calling.:  How much food do YOU eat in 8 days?  I have everything else in my pack figured out. I still haven't gotten the food right.  Read this...


 Gizmag:  The latest take on sock-shoes tramp over floors and dirt.  The real key, according to the company, is in the seamless, glue-free construction, which enhances durability, turning basic sock into tough 'shoe.'  Read this...


 The Ultimate Hang:  Flying Squirrel Outfitters Hammocks — Preview.  If you are in the market for a quality gathered-end hammock, the Flying Squirrel makes a good one.  Read this...


 Gore-Tex Blog:  A Motor-Less, People-Less Boat Trip Across Lake Powell with Brendan Leonard.  'There's a dead bighorn sheep here,' my friend Sinjin says from the shore. 'But other than that, I think it's a pretty nice campsite.'  Read this...


 OtherHand:  The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans.  At this point I know the location and surroundings probably better than anyone, and I'm not going back. The area scares me just a bit.  Read this...


 FastcoDesign:  What Makes A Map Beautiful, According To A Parks Ranger.  A national parks ranger and self-proclaimed cartomaniac shares favorites from his extensive map collection.  Read this...


 The Shooting Star:  How Responsible Tourism Can Challenge Patriarchy in India.  I sat in awkward silence, not sure if I should join the women in the kitchen and further the house's patriarchal traditions, or eat with the men as the women waited.  Read this...


 National Parks Conservation Association:  10 Tips to Respect Wildlife, Stay Safe and Avoid Internet Ridicule.  Fish and amphibians are particularly vulnerable to DEET.  Read this...


 The Aloof:  An Overnight Ultralight Backpacking Microadventure on Utah's Lewis Peak.  ...and (3) see how light I can get my overnight backpacking kit down to.  Read this...


 Unbrave Girl:  4 Steps to Prepare for Your First Ever Solo Backpacking Trip.  I've found the best way to train your brain to be ready to go camping in the woods by yourself is to first go camping in the woods with a whole bunch of Class A douche-balls.  Read this...


 Bold Betties Blog:  Moab Adventures with Bold Betties.  'How the hell am I going to get out of this?' I thought. I had just agreed to go on a four-day, three-night camping trip with my sister.  Read this...


 Hiking For Her:  Looking for the best hiking tips for women hikers?  Hiking For Her gives you a bounty of free how to hike advice and information geared toward women hikers.  Read this...


 Backpacker:  Top 10 Beginner Hiker Blunders.  Since Bambi doesn't crap up your bedroom, you should extend the same courtesy.  Read this...


 Outside Online:  The Last Bastion of Outdoor Outlaws.  Adventurers are getting cozy with a surprising new advocate: the Bureau of Land Management.  Read this...


 Outside Online:  The Bears Who Came to Town and Would Not Go Away.  'How did he get there? He was just in the reeds!' Nikolai exclaimed. That's when he realized: 'Oh God, it's a second bear!'  Read this...


 Kevin Hellriegel's Blog of Worthless Advice:  Summer Camp for Adults? Cash on In!  Daily Field trips to the local pub for inspiration would be a must.  Read this...


Advertisement

Fire In Your Hand: Dave's Little Guide to Ultralight Backpacking Stoves.

Available in the following formats...

0 comments :

Post a Comment