Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Lower Crab Creek

Not successful. In the hiking sense. Interesting place though.

So, I guess I'm not the only one who has been here, but I didn't take off my shoes.

View to the south. I wanted to scramble up there, but it was clear that this was not a place to spend the night afterward.

So I did walk up, but only a short way, maybe with a hundred feet (30m) of elevation gain, enough for a more expansive view.

It seems that this general area, especially a mile or two downstream, is popular for fishing, based on the number of vehicles and people I saw.

The water is muddy, or was when I passed through the area. I'm not sure what the quality of the fish might be. I would be more trusting of those caught in the Columbia River, only a few more miles to the west.

The weather was dry and sunny but also unexpectedly hot, furiously hot, with intermittent gale force winds. Lots of dust.

I also saw no place I would have wanted to park my car for the night, though I did find a place a few days later. It had other problems, as we'll see later. Anyway, I moved on.

More info:

Crab Creek (Wikipedia)

Lower Crab Creek Unit, Columbia Basin Wildlife Area Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

Crab Creek (Columbia National Wildlife Refuge) Washington Trails Association

Google View