Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Definitions: Wend

Definitions: Wend

"Not all who wander are equipped with a full box of rocks." -- Saint Doofus Obtusus of Bushwhaeck

Just because you can spell it doesn't mean you can do it. Like my cousin Ferdwin, who won a spelling contest in third grade on the word "carjacking", but thought that lipstick was a good disguise, and thought that a mildly bluff note, a smile, a close lean in, and the word "please" would result in a new car that he'd get to keep after he used it to drive across town for ice cream.

It isn't like he was stupid — he could jumpstart a cat like nobody's business using nothing other than a finger and static electricity, but had his criminal career seriously derailed before he even got past grade school, due to that one misstep of his.

It's like that with walking too, though not for Ferdwin. He hated walking, which is why he was keen to get the car, but for the rest of us, "walk", "hike", "march", "stride", "tramp", "strut", "trek", and so on might sound overly strenuous at times, and indeed they can be, hence "wend".

There's nothing better than a decent wend to prepare one for a nap — not even a promenade, a saunter, a stroll, or a mindless perambulation, though a mosey is close, and will sometimes do in a pinch.

Wend then, "To go or proceed along some course or way. To betake oneself." Which is about as good as it gets, peregrination-wise, though Ferdwin was limited by being on probation all through high school, and couldn't get a date if his life depended on it, wending or no. And, of course, no cats befriended him.

So there.

Postly script: I send, I sent.  I spend, I spent.  I lend, I lent.  I go, I went.  I wend, I wended. Oops, WTF. Go, went? Wended?

Used to be "I wend, I went", but then they changed it on us. And the other used to be "I go, I gaed". They changed that too. Some things never do make sense, not unlike all too many of my relatives. There is still hiking though, for those who can handle it and are disciplined enough to do it without any wending.

 


See tabs at the top for definitions and books.
Have extra info to add?
If the commenting system is out again, then email sosayseff@nullabigmail.com
Me? Still working on that wind problem.